I am always looking at decorating ideas on Pinterest (find me here ), and I’ve been trying to find some options that are budget-friendly, and versatile. We have a spare room that has many purposes such as a guest room, craft room, storage and we hope a nursery within the next few years. With so many different purposes, I need decor that can be easily moved or taken down, and decor that does not put a hole in my pocket.
We actually had a lot of left over wedding supplies, and they have just been sitting in Chris’s office for the past few months. This past week, I found some really cute uses for wood slices – which is perfect, as we had about 30!
First, I lightly sanded our wood slices. I did not care to make them smooth as long as I was not going to get a splinter while painting. I have painted just a few little scenes on our wood slices, and then I covered them in a gloss to protect them and prevent any further splintering/chipping.
Take a look!
These are barely larger than the size of my hand outstretched and my plan is to get some picture hanging tools to attach to the back. They are also fairly lightweight, and should be able to be hung with nothing more than a thumbtack.
So there you have it! These were essentially free to create as I already had the paint, gloss and wood slices. For those that do not have these supplies, I have seen wood slices at craft stores (such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels) for less than $5.00 a piece. Acrylic paint can be found at Walmart for less than $1.00.
Have you been able to find any cheap decorations for your walls? Let me know below!
With only 3 days left and one glue gun down, we are pretty much ready for our wedding on Saturday!
This evening I wanted to share a basic DIY that we are using: wedding programs. I chose to make ours in the style of a fan, so that our guests can use them if it is too hot or humid. I also chose to make the back of our programs fun by adding a word search game and some trivia about us – there are always those boring moments before the ceremony begins! The supplies needed are very basic, and there are only a few different steps.
Cardstock ( 2 packs, at $5 per pack) – $10
Black Ink For Printer (I bought mine at Walmart) – $16
“Curvy Craft Sticks” (from Amazon, pack of 200) – $7
Graphic Design – Free (me)
Glue Gun – $3
Glue Sticks for Glue Gun – $6
First I designed the front of the fans, making sure to include basic ceremony information, a thank you, and the names of those in our wedding party. *Side note: I accidentally used one of my bridesmaids maiden name, and didn’t catch it until around #80. My tip is to have someone double check your wording and spelling within the first five! I decided to just roll with it (and checked with her as well).*
Design the back! As stated above, I wanted to make it fun and give our guests something to do while they sit around awkwardly. You can google “free word search maker” and you will get plenty of options where you can make your own and save them as an image file.
Test your printing on a regular sized paper before using your cardstock. I printed mine on regular sized letter paper at 20% and printed them 10 at a time. Printing them 10 at a time let me take some much needed breaks, and it was easy to keep track of how many I was making.
Center your images and cut into a square. My finished squares ended up being about 5 1/2 inches by maybe 7 inches.
At this point you can choose to round your edges with an edge trimmer or use them as is. Both are great options – I chose to round mine to make it look more finished and professional.
Take your handy curved craft sticks and your glue gun. Ready, aim, go! I only had one pack of glue sticks so I had to run to our local Dollar General to get a few packs. The next day my glue gun gave out on me, so I made another trip there to get a new one. I first glued the craft stick to the front page (face down), then the back, and for the last step I ran some glue along the left and right sides.
You are done!
This project was fairly easy, but I definitely took my time finishing. The cutting out of the images were the worst part for me (even with a paper trimmer) and when my glue gun stopped working. I finished the whole project over the course of 3 evenings and ended with a total of 100 programs. Also, I ordered some mini golf pencils from Amazon to pass out with the programs for the word searches.